Pliny the Younger, my favorite ancient nerd, writes about a great way to study

This ancient Roman letter would work great as a self-deprecating stand-up bit in the style of John Mulaney. Pliny the Younger brags to his friend, the historian Tacitus, that he has managed to successfully pursue a gender normative activity. Yes, really! But he did it in his own way.

Translated by me. Yes, ipsa!


Pliny to his Tacitus


You’re going to laugh. And that’s fine.

I - yes, that guy you know - I have captured three boars. And they’re beauties! 

“On your own?” you ask. All by myself. And I didn’t even have to deny my usual penchant for peace and quiet.

I sat near the nets. Instead of a hunting spear and javelin, I kept my pen and notebooks right next to me. I was deep in thought and jotting down notes, so that even if I returned empty handed at least my notebooks would be full. Don’t knock this way of studying. It is amazing how the mind is stimulated by getting the body moving. Hunting requires being alone and surrounded by the silence of forest, which are perfect conditions for thinking.

The next time you hunt, you can use my example as an excuse to bring your notebooks along with your lunchbox and thermos. You will find out for yourself that Minerva roams the mountains as much as Diana.

Be well!



Here's the original Latin:

C. Plinius Cornelio Tacito Suo S.


Ridebis, et licet rideas. Ego, ille quem nosti, apros tres et quidem pulcherrimos cepi. “Ipse?” inquis. Ipse; non tamen ut omnino ab inertia mea et quiete discederem. Ad retia sedebam; erat in proximo non venabulum aut lancea, sed stilus et pugillares; meditabar aliquid enotabamque, ut si manus vacuas, plenas tamen ceras reportarem. Non est quod contemnas hoc studendi genus; mirum est ut animus agitatione motuque corporis excitetur; iam undique silvae et solitudo ipsumque illud silentium quod venationi datur, magna cogitationis incitamenta sunt. Proinde cum venabere, licebit auctore me ut panarium et lagunculam sic etiam pugillares feras: experieris non Dianam magis montibus quam Minervam inerrare. Vale!


Pliny's "hunting gear"




Comments